Intensive English Overview
- 20 class hours per week: Four hours a day, five days a week (summer varies)
- 5 Levels: Basic to Academic Support.
- Course Content: Grammar, Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking
- Fall, winter and spring quarters are 11 weeks. Summer quarter is 8 weeks (6 hours a day, 4 days a week). The Intensive English Program follows the Green River academic calendar.
English Placement Testing
Students take a placement test during orientation and at the beginning of each quarter for placement into English classes. Students may place into any of the five levels or may qualify out of Intensive English. Those who enter the college with English Proficiency a TOEFL score of 61/173 /500 or IELTS 5.5 (all bands) also qualify out of Intensive English.
Small Classes & Highly Qualified Instructors
Intensive English instructors have years of experience in teaching English and living abroad. Additional learning support services include:
- Free tutoring
- Advisors to assist in degree and transfer planning, registration, immigration, housing and cultural adjustment
- Planned activities on and off campus
- Computer lab in the campus library
The cost of Intensive English is the same as the current tuition and fees for full-time international students. Intensive English fees are refundable through the first day of the quarter only and are non-refundable beginning the second day of the quarter.
Transferred to:UC Berkeley BS, UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
“After studying English (IESL) at Green River for a year, I then studied another 2 years in the academic program. In 2013, I transferred to UC Berkeley. I am now pursuing further education at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, the #1 School of veterinary medicine in the world. I cannot describe how much I appreciate Green River College. I would not have been able to make it this far without my time at GRC.”
Major: Molecular Environmental Biology
Jiacheng Liu (Tyler)
Transferred to: UCLA
“Green River College offers a great program that is open to every level of student. You can start from Intensive English classes and transfer to a top university.”
Major: Electrical Engineering