Judicial Affairs - FAQ Parents

FAQ Parents and Family Members

The Judicial Affairs office recognizes that family members are a critical factor in student success, and works diligently to make family members a part of the educational discussion. However, the Judicial Affairs office must also balance this with privacy allowances made for students under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), as well as the recognition that students, as young adults, must assume more responsibility for their own behavior and academic matters.

The Judicial Affairs office encourages family members to discuss situations with students prior to contacting our office. In most cases, the Judicial Affairs office cannot discuss a student’s disciplinary case with family members without the student’s explicit written consent.

For your convenience, here are answers to the most frequently asked questions from family members.


Ideally, you should first discuss the matter with the student. If your student would like our office to share information with you, the student can visit the Judicial Affairs office (SA 206) and complete a Authorization for Release of Information form. Normally, the Judicial Affairs office will share information with a third party only with the student’s written permission. However, we are always happy to answer any general questions about the student conduct process. Our web page provides details about the process so that you can read up on what will happen and how the hearing will progress.
The student disciplinary process at Green River College does not provide for the direct involvement of a student’s parent or guardian. Each student is expected to act as their own advocate. However, family members can provide important moral support to the student and can assist them in understanding both the student conduct process and the expectations of the College.
A family member can attend a hearing as a support person if requested by the student. A support person is required to sit behind the student and is not permitted to participate or addresses anyone during the hearing. Family members are also welcome to sit in a waiting area and consult with the student during breaks.
The decision to consult an attorney is a personal one, to be made by the student with the help of their support system. However, please understand that attorneys are considered support persons, and while they may accompany the student to meetings and disciplinary proceedings, they may not participate in any fashion. If you or the student choose to consult with an attorney, you do so at your own expense.
Judicial Affairs is obliged to move forward with all disciplinary matters as soon as it has collected sufficient information to do so. The College is not required to defer to the timeline of the criminal or civil courts and will not typically grant postponements based on court proceedings. Please remember that the College is not attempting to determine if a student committed a crime—only to determine whether or not the student has violated the Student Code of Conduct.
The student can file a report of an alleged Student Code of Conduct violation with the Campus Safety office for intake and investigation. Campus Safety Phone: (253) 833-9111 x3350
Green River College is an open-access, public college where students from all over the world come together to learn, grow and enrich their lives. Green River’s main campus stretches over 180 acres of beautifully forested land. Branch campuses, located in downtown Auburn, Kent and Enumclaw, bring the college’s unique educational experiences to local communities. Green River College holds our students to a high standard of decorum on and off campus. The Judicial Affairs office works closely with Campus Safety, the Auburn Police Department, the Kent Police Department, and the Enumclaw Police Department to ensure the safety of all of our students.


U.S. Department of Education: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)