Alcohol and Drugs FAQ

Frequently asked questions about alcohol or drugs

Q – What is alcohol poisoning or alcohol overdose, and what are the symptoms?
- Alcohol poisoning is a condition where toxic amounts of alcohol have been consumed, usually in a short period of time. The person may become extremely disoriented, unresponsive, or unconscious, with shallow breathing. Symptoms can also include vomiting, seizures, blue-tinged or pale clammy skin, or low body temperature. Because alcohol poisoning can be deadly, emergency treatment is needed immediately. Do not wait for all of the symptoms, call 9-1-1 and get help right away if in doubt.

QIf I am underage and have been drinking, will I be in trouble if I call 9-1-1 to help a friend?
A – Washington State has a medical amnesty law for alcohol and drugs that allows underage users to call for help without fearing prosecution. The law is meant to encourage minors to call 9-1-1, if needed during a medical emergency.


QDoes drinking really affect my grades?
A - Drinking alcohol can have a negative impact on cognitive functions (concentration, memory and attention). With heavy drinking, positive blood alcohol levels can remain the next day and may limit a student’s ability to get up for class and impair mental processing and memory resulting in incomplete work, poor exam results and lower grades. 


QWhy can’t I use marijuana on campus when it is legal in Washington?
A – Marijuana is still illegal under federal law and permitting its use at Green River College would violate the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act. If Green River failed to comply with the act, it could become ineligible for federal funding and lose financial aid for students.


Q - How do I find help for a friend who is drinking too much?
A – In supporting your friend, you can guide her to the Green River College Counseling Services Office located in the Student Affairs and Success Center, Room 266 (within the financial aid lobby). Their services provide short-term mental health counseling and self-care/wellness education at no charge for GRC students. The phone number is 253-833-9111, ext. 2460.

Other contacts are listed in the Helpful Resources section of this website.


Q – What is Green River College’s policy on the use of drugs or alcohol?
A – Green River College advocates maintaining a safe, healthy and productive educational and work environment for students, employees and the public. As such, GRC complies with the federal Drug Free Schools and Communities Act, the Controlled Substances Act, and the drug and alcohol regulations mandated by the federal Highway Administration of the Department of Transportation, along with other applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.

The possession, use, or sale of illegal drugs is not tolerated and will be subject to discipline. Marijuana use is prohibited by federal law on the GRC campus (including the Campus Corner Apartments) or off-campus at college sponsored events such as student activities, athletic events, conferences or workshops (regardless of the fact that it is legal in Washington for those 21 and older).

The possession of, consumption of, or being under the influence of any form of liquor by any student on college facilities or participating in a college sponsored activity will be cause for disciplinary action.


eCheckup to Go

The Alcohol and Marijuana eCHECKUP TO GOs are brief feedback tools designed to help college students take a look at their alcohol and marijuana use. The screening results are anonymous and designed to provide students with personalized information about individual patterns of use and your risk patterns.


Marijuana eCHECKUP TO GO

You need:

  • A computer
  • Internet access
  • A JavaScript enabled Internet Browser
  • About 20-30 minutes
  • A printer (if you would like to print the feedback)