Fall Quarter - What to Expect
By Adam Beals, Director of Advising, July 31, 2020
Message to incoming Academic and *Intensive English international students fall 2020.
We’re excited to welcome you to Green River College! We know you are busy planning for fall quarter, so we’re writing to provide information regarding immigration regulations, classes, and student services.
Classes and Registration
- If you are studying in the US for fall quarter, you will be registered for a mandatory free class, International Student Health and Support. This class meets federal immigration requirements to maintain F-1 student status.
- International academic students studying in the US or online from outside the US must take a minimum of 5 credits in fall 2020. We recommend that students take 15 credits in fall, if possible, so that they do not delay their graduation date. *Intensive English students must take full-time classes.
- Almost all fall 2020 classes will be offered online. The only classes offered face-to-face will be those listed in Phase 2 of the Governor’s re-opening plan (for example, flight simulator classes for Aviation students) and the new International Student Health and Support class.
- If you are planning to apply for a visa to enter the US for fall quarter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we send you an updated I-20.
- Students arriving from abroad are required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival.
- Campus Corner Apartments are open. IP Housing Staff will coordinate placement to meet health official requirements for social distancing in college housing.
- Host family placement is available.
- If you have questions regarding housing, please email email@example.com.
Student Services and Activities
- Services and Activities will be primarily offered online via Zoom.
- Green River campus locations, building and offices will undergo a phased re-opening according to Governor’s directives and guidance from health officials. There is no set timeline for this re-opening, because it depends on the status of covid-19 in Washington.
- On campus, in person services and activities will follow a similarly phased re-opening.
After you have decided whether you will study in the US or from your home country for fall quarter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org from your GRC email account with the following information:
- Your full name
- Your plan for fall quarter (either "I will study in the US for fall quarter," or "I will study online from outside the US for fall quarter")
Regardless of whether you choose to study online from home for fall or study in the US, we will provide the prompt, personal service that you need to be successful. We look forward to working with you!