Update: What Green River is doing - U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s proposed ruling
By Wendy Stewart, Vice President of International Programs and Extended Learning, October 16, 2020
I want to provide an update on what Green River is doing in response to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s proposed rule related to admission and duration of status for international students (F-1 visa holders). Green River College strongly opposes this rule. There is a 30-day public comment period through the federal government. The deadline for comment is October 26.
Here is what Green River is doing.
- Letter to Request Comment Period Extension – Presidents’ Alliance on Immigration and Higher Education. On October 8th, Green River College President Suzanne Johnson, along with over 100 colleges and universities, signed on to this letter requesting an extension of the comment period to 60 days.
- Multistate Comment Letter – State Attorney General’s Office. On October 15 Green River submitted information to the Washington State Attorney General’s office to support a multistate effort.
- Green River College Comment Letter. The IP leadership team is drafting a comment letter that will be submitted by October 26th on behalf of the institution. The letter will be co-signed by President Johnson and me, vice president of International Programs.
Here are ways that we are keeping informed and partnering with other organizations.
- Rapid Response Briefing - Proposed Rule to End Duration of Status for International Students and Exchange Visitors. President Johnson, Director of International Advising Adam Beals, Director of International Student Services Nancy Kremer, and I attended the October 7th briefing hosted by the Presidents’ Alliance on Higher Education and Immigration.
- International Education Town Hall. I attended the October 13th Town Hall hosted by the Association of International Educators (NAFSA).
We will continue to keep you informed of Green River's actions related to this proposed rule.
Green River remains committed to the critical importance of global education. We are dedicated to providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for our international students.
Vice President of International Programs and Extended Learning
Green River College | Auburn, WA USA
email@example.com| | Cell: 253.880.6045 | Skype: wendy-stewart
This letter was sent to current students, alumni and partners.