Starting your college career can be confusing; we're here to help! Below is a step-by-step guide that will help you navigate the admission and registration processes.
Step 1: Apply for VA education benefits
To activate your VA education benefits apply online at VA.gov.
If you have any questions about applying for VA education benefits please call the VA Regional Processing Center at 888-442-4551.
Step 2: Apply for Admission
Activate your required student email account. All Green River communication will be sent to your Green River student e-mail account.
Begin the online orientation. This orientation helps prepare you for success at Green River.
- Important: Make sure that you have all of your previous transcripts sent to Green River College. This is required by the VA and could impact your ability to use VA education benefits. To learn more about our military transcript evaluation procedure see: Evaluation Procedure for JST military transcripts.
If you have questions about applying for admission or transcripts please contact our Enrollment Services department at 253-833-9111, Ext. 2500 or EnrollmentServices@greenriver.edu.
Step 3: Request Information Relating to Your VA Benefit
There are several VA benefit programs. Each of them have their own specific rules and guidelines. Veteran Services provides information packets to go over details about each of the VA benefits, as well as other services and resources that are available to you while you are at Green River College.
Email Veteran Services with the following:
- Student Identification Number (SID)
- Education Benefit
- Program of Study and
- What quarter you'll be starting
We will then send the relevant information packet to your Green River student e-mail account.
Step 4: Determine Course Placement
All degrees require an assessment of a student's skill level in reading, writing, and math through various placement options. Some certificate programs do not require placement. Connect with the Welcome Desk if you are pusuing a certficate program.
Visit Course Placement for more information on:
- Placement options, including high school and college level courswork or assessments, and Green River placement assessments
- Preparation resources for Green River assessments
- Submitting documentation for other options
If you have questions about Course Placement please contact our Welcome Desk at 253-833-9111 Ext. 6000 or GettingStarted@greenriver.edu.
Step 5: Complete Student Orientation
Finish your online orientation.
Sign up for your in-person orientation. Registration for first quarter classes will take place at the in-person orientation as well as assignment to your advisor.
If you have any questions about Completing Student Orientation please contact our Welcome Desk at 253-833-9111 Ext. 6000 or GettingStarted@greenriver.edu.
Step 6: Request Certification
After you've registered for your classes, the last step is to request certification for VA education benefits. This must be completed every quarter you would like to use your benefits. Please visit Requesting Certification for a walk-through of the process.
- Please Note: Students using VA Vocational Rehabilitation do not have to do this step. Your Voc Case Manager will email us a 1905 to initiate certification for your classes.
Hours of Operation
|8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Closed for File Processing|
|Friday, Saturday, Sunday|
Phone: 253-833-9111, ext. 2466
Student Affairs and Success Center, 236 & 237