Getting Started

Starting your college career can be confusing; we're here to help! Below is a step-by-step guide that will help you navigate the admission and registration processes. It should provide you everything you'll need to know about starting out, but if you have any questions please feel free to contact the Veteran Services office.

Step 1: Apply for VA education benefits

You'll want to make sure that you apply for VA education benefits as soon as you can. This lets the VA know that you intend to go to school and that you'd like to use you benefits. Once you've applied the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If you'll be using the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill© you will need to submit that COE to us.

If you have any questions about applying for VA education benefits please call the VA Regional Processing Center at 888-442-4551.  

Step 2: Sign up for admission to Green River College

After you've applied for your VA education benefits you'll want to apply for admission to Green River College. You will be asked to enter personal information (name, mailing address, etcetera) and you will be given a Student Identification Number (SID). You'll also receive instructions for setting up your student email account. Make sure that you set up your student email account, as this is how the college will get a hold of you for any and every reason.

  • Important: make sure that you have all of your previous transcripts sent to Green River College. This is required by the VA and could impact your ability to use VA education benefits. To learn more about our military transcript evaluation procedure, visit: Evaluation Procedure for JST military transcripts.

If you have any questions about the admission process please call Enrollment Services at 253-833-9111, ext. 2500 or send them an email

Step 3: Attend a Veteran Services information session

There are several VA education benefit programs. Each of them have their own specific rules and guidelines. It is important to know these details so that you can avoid confusion in the future. Veteran Services offers information sessions for new students every other week. Details about each of the VA education benefits are highlighted, as well as other services and resources that are available to you while you are at Green River College.

Email Veteran Services with your name, phone number, Student Identification Number (SID), which benefit you'd like to use and when you'd like to start. We will then contact you to schedule your information session. Make sure to bring a copy of your DD 214 and Certificate of Eligibility (COE). 

Step 4: Determine Your Course Placement

The next step will be for you to determine your Math and English placements. There are a couple of ways to determine course placement:

If you have prior college level training you'll meet with one of our Entry Advisors in the Welcome Center. Entry Advisors help figure out what courses you'll need as a new student to Green River College. Make sure you bring a copy of any unofficial transcripts you may have.

If you do not have prior college level training It's likely you will need to take a placement test to determine what course you need to start with. Some students may have to take a placement test to determine which courses they need to start with. If you have attended college before make sure you bring a copy of any unofficial transcripts you may have. Also, if you've taken another placement test at another college please bring a copy of your results in with you; we will honor those results. 

Step 5: Attend a Student Orientation to Advising and Registration (SOAR) session

All students who are new to Green River College must attend a Student Orientation to Advising and Registration (SOAR) session. This helps you become familiar with the advising process at Green River and with registering for classes. You will need to schedule a SOAR session before you are able to register for your classes. Most students register for their first quarter of classes at the SOAR session. 

Please email Veteran Services to reserve a seat in a SOAR session. We will need your name and Student Identification Number (SID). 

Step 6: Request certification for VA Education Benefits

Almost there! The last step is to request certification for VA education benefits. All students collecting VA education benefits must do this every quarter that they intend to use their benefits. A step-by-step guide is located in the next tab (above).

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday - 5 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday

Contact Us

Phone: 253-833-9111, ext. 2466



Student Affairs and Success Center, 236 & 237