Learn How to Start Your Benefits
Starting your college career can be confusing. We're here to help! Below is a step-by-step guide that will help you navigate the admission and registration process.
Step 1: Apply for VA education benefits
- Submit an application for your VA education benefits online at VA.gov
- If you intend to use Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits, please submit an application to VR&E
If you have any questions about applying for VA education benefits please call the VA Regional Processing Center at 888-442-4551.
Step 2: Apply for Admission to Green River College
- To become a student at Green River College, please apply for admission. Alternatively you may visit the Office of the Registrar if you require assistance with the admission process. The Office of the Registrar is located in the Student Affairs and Success Center on the second floor.
Step 3: Activate Student Email Account
- Once accepted, please activate your required student email account.
* All Green River College communications will be sent to your Green River College student e-mail account.
Step 4: Begin Green River College Online Orientation
- Begin the online orientation. This orientation prepares you for success at Green River College.
Step 5: Send all Transcripts to Green River College for Evaluation
- Important: All previous college transcripts must be sent to Green River College to be evaluated for prior credit. This step is required by the VA and could impact your VA education benefits if it's not completed within three academic quarters.
- Military transcripts are also required for prior credit evaluation:
Step 6: Complete an Intake Session with Veteran Services
- Please email us the following information:
- Student ID number
- Program of Study
- GI Bill benefit you plan to use
- What quarter you wish to start
- Post 9/11 GI Bill students - please email or drop off your Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits
Step 7: Determine Course Placement
- Visit Course Placement for more information on:
- Placement options, including high school and college level coursework or assessments, and Green River College placement assessments
- Preparation resources for Green River College assessments
- Submitting documentation for other options
If you have questions about Course Placement please contact our Welcome Desk at 253-833-9111 Ext. 6000 or GettingStarted@greenriver.edu.
Step 8: Complete New Student Advising and Orientation (NSAR)
- Please ensure that you finished your online orientation
- To register for classes at Green River College, you must attend NSAR to receive a registration pin
- Students who are unable to attend NSAR should contact Career & Advising for assistance
Step 7: Requesting Certification
- Please visit our Requesting Certification web page for a walk-through of the process.
- Please Note: Students using VA Vocational Rehabilitation do not have to do this step. Your VR&E Case Manager will send us an eAuthorization to initiate certification for your classes.