About Us

Public Information

The Public Information Office is responsible for communications, campus news, government relations and emergency operations. We focus internally, working directly with campus divisions, departments and organizations with the goal of effectively articulating the college's mission to the communities we serve.

We also concentrate externally, working to build strong relationships with our neighbors. We actively work to build a quality reputation for the college locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. We monitor news and events that might affect the college and our students, providing input and circulating information. We work closely with local, state and federal legislators to help determine public policy that recognizes the power of education. In the event of a campus emergency, we respond with timely communications and active decision-making by trained designated members of the Green River community.

These factors combine in an excellent college focused on providing a world-class education, and providing the opportunities our students, alumni employees, visitors, neighbors and friends need so they can succeed and achieve their goals.


Public Records

The Open Public Records Act requires that records maintained by state, county, and city governments be made available to the public.

Green River College is a state agency subject to the Washington State Public Disclosure Act (RCW 42.56).  The Public Disclosure Act provides a framework of model rules in Chapter 44-14 WAC to assist agencies in responding to disclosure requests. Guidelines applicable to public disclosure requests received by Green River College are outlined below.

What is a public record?

Green River College and its employees are required to maintain all documents and records pertaining to its conduct and performance. Public disclosure requests may include:

  • Employee or former-employee records
  • Student records
  • Bids or RFP submissions
  • Public safety reports
  • Financial records
  • College statistics

Public records can be written documents, recordings, photos, electronic disks, magnetic tape or email correspondence. All records maintained by Green River College are available for public inspection unless specifically exempted by law. Public records are accessible under reasonable conditions. You do not have to explain why you want to access a public record although we may ask you clarifying questions to process your request.

We are not required to create records. If a record does not exist, then we cannot fulfill your request for public information.

What records are not subject to public disclosure?

Washington State law specifically exempts some records from public disclosure. Exemptions are designed to protect the privacy of individuals, protect law enforcement or other investigative agencies processes or the legitimate business interests of citizens.

Exemptions include, but are not limited to:

  • Information regarding staff and faculty, such as social security numbers, home phone numbers, home addresses, resumes and employment applications
  • Student personal information including school and medical records 
  • Investigative records relating to current enforcement 
  • Examination test scores 
  • Data that if disclosed could result in private gain and/or public loss
  • Correspondence between agency staff and the Attorney General's Office
  • Information from certain records which would constitute an invasion of privacy as defined in (RCW 42.56.210)

In some cases, we may redact portions of a public record exempt from disclosure. It is our obligation to tell you why a record is exempt.

If you want to review or get copies of the non-public information listed above, it will be necessary for the college to request an Attorney General's opinion about this information. The Attorney General's office has up to 12 weeks to make a decision on whether the information is public or not public.

How long will a public records request take to fulfill?

Green River is generally required to respond to a public disclosure request for identifiable public records prepared, owned or used by the college within five business days.  Responses to a public disclosure request may include:

  • Acknowledging receipt of the request and/or providing an estimate of  time required to comply with the request;
  • Providing the requested record(s) directly to the requestor;
  • Requesting clarification regarding a request;
  • Providing records in installments;
  • Providing the requestor with a link to a website to view specific documents;
  • Withholding records exempt from disclosure.

Additional information may be needed for clarification to fulfill your request. To assure public disclosure requests are processed in a timely manner, complete and detailed information is required.

How do I request a public record?

Requests for public records at Green River may be made in writing or email correspondence to Green River's Public Records Office. To make a public disclosure request, please include the following information:

      1. Your name
      2. Full mailing address
      3. Contact phone number
      4. Email address
      5. Detailed description of the requested record(s)
      6. Indicate how you would like to receive the record:
        • Review the records in person at the college
        • Have copies mailed at a cost of $ .10 per page
        • Receive documents on a DVD at a cost of $1.95 per disc plus postage
        • Sent electronically by email (free of charge)

By email

Email requests should be sent to: publicrecords@greenriver.edu

By mail

Send a written request to:
Public Records Manager
Green River College
12401 SE 320th ST; MS-HR
Auburn, WA 98092-3622

I'm an employee. May I make a public records request to see my employee file?

Yes. A request to see information in your employee file may be submitted to Human Resources. Human Resources may be contacted at extension 3320.

I'm a student. May I make a public records request to see my educational records?

Yes. Student Affairs retains all student records. For academic records, contact Enrollment Services at extension 2500. For any other type of student record, complete and submit a Public Disclosure Request.

Is my request for public records confidential?

No. Requests for public records are subject to public disclosure.

Government Relations

We are committed to providing a quality education to the members of our community. That means working closely with our elected officials at the local, state and federal levels to try to provide the best opportunities for our students.

Green River, in concert with the State Board for Community & Technical Colleges, looks forward to working closely with the elected officials who represent the college's service area. Together, we can work to support student success through increased access and affordability.

Federal priorities

  • Reauthorize the Higher Education Act. The act provides critical financial support for students through federal Pell Grants
  • Reauthorize the Food, Conversation and Energy Act. Also known as the Farm Bill, the legislation provides funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and helps low-income individuals in need of basic skills and job training.
  • Reauthorize the Workforce Investment Act. This funds programs that help adult workers gain necessary skills and workforce training to obtain living-wage jobs and meet employer needs.
  • Fund the Perkins Act. The act provides significant federal funding support for community and technical colleges nationwide.

Washington state interim priorities

  • Employee compensation. Faculty and staff are critical to student success, and with fair, competitive pay, our colleges can continue to provide students a top-flight education.
  • Economic development. With full funding for enrollment, our state will continue to grow, compete and fill cutting-edge jobs with Washington talent.
  • Performance-based funding. We are focused on student momentum and completion with the Student Achievement Initiative.
  • Affordability. We are thankful that our students will not see an increase in tuition because of the legislature's move to freeze those costs and increase funding, but we remain concerned that about 21,000 community and technical college students are unable to get a state need grant due to insufficient funds.
  • Campus construction. We are thankful that the legislature recognized Green River's need for a new Student Life Center, for which it authorized financing, and a Trades building, but this project was underfunded by $3.9 million.

For more information about our legislative priorities, visit the Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges Government Relations website.

Emergency Operations

When a natural or human-created emergency occurs, chances are the Green River College's schedule may change. You need to know where to go for accurate school information.

Prior to any emergency, devise inclement weather and emergency procedures for yourself and your co-workers. Have alternate routes to campus and a phone-tree notification system for those in your department. For more information on building an emergency kit and emergency preparedness, visit the King County Office of Emergency Management website.

A number of factors are part of the decision making process on whether classes are canceled. The college collects information from the Washington State Patrol, local police, county road crews, neighboring school districts, cities of Auburn, Kent and Enumclaw, and our own staff members.


To get up to the minute information about what's happening at Green River, use the following resources:

If you do not receive communications regarding college operations during an emergency, assume that the college is operating on its normal schedule.

Separate announcements may be made for Enumclaw and Kent campuses.Green River College is not part of the Auburn School District. If you hear a message regarding the Auburn School District, it does not apply to the college.

Green River's Child Development Center operates on procedures established by the Children's Home Society, which notifies employees of its schedule. The Child Development Center records a message on its phone system for callers.


Public Records Manager
Green River College
12401 SE 320th ST; MS: HR
Auburn, WA 98092

Phone: (253) 288-3361
Fax: (253) 288-3393